The PES recognizes important technical, educational and service contributions through the conferral of numerous awards. Information on these awards and on the Senior and Fellow Member Programs are found this page. Visit the PES Awards FAQ section for answers to frequently asked questions.
PES is pleased to announce the 2016 IEEE PES Society-Level Award Winners, click here to view the list.
We are always seeking nominations for our many awards.
Each year, at the PES General Meeting in July, many of the awards are conferred during the ceremony held in conjunction with a dinner banquet. More than 400 colleagues and their guests gather to recognize those whose outstanding achievements merited acknowledgement by the power and energy community.
You may know someone whose accomplishments make them a worthy recipient of a PES award.
View current and previous Awards Ceremony Programs to learn about the achievements and backgrounds of people to whom awards were presented. Specific qualifications and nomination forms can be found by clicking on the names of the award listed below. Then, nominate your colleague.
Information about writing an effective Fellow nomination for the IEEE Fellows program, the names of PES members who have been elected to the grade of IEEE Fellows, and names and citations of PES members elected to the latest class of IEEE Fellows.
General PES Awards
For information on the latest recipient please see the latest Awards Ceremony Program.
- Awards presented from 2008-2016 (PDFs of ceremony programs)
- IEEE PES Award for Excellence in Power Distribution Engineering
- IEEE PES IAS A.P. Seethapathy Rural Electrification Excellence Award
- IEEE PES Charles Concordia Power System Engineering Award
- IEEE PES Cyril Veinott Electromechanical Energy Conversion Award
- IEEE PES Douglas M. Staszesky Distribution Automation Award
- IEEE PES Lifetime Achievement Award
- IEEE PES Leadership in Power Award
- IEEE PES Meritorious Service Award
- IEEE PES Nari Hingorani Custom Power Award
- IEEE PES Nari Hingorani FACTS Award
- IEEE PES Outstanding Chapter Award
- IEEE PES Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award
- IEEE PES Outstanding Young Engineer Award
- IEEE PES Prabha S. Kundur Power System Dynamics and Control Award
Call for Nominations
- IEEE Power & Energy Society Ramakumar Family Renewable Energy Excellence Award
- IEEE PES Robert P. Noberini Distinguished Contributions to Engineering Professionalism Award
- IEEE PES G. Ray Ekenstam Memorial Scholarship
- Nominations due by June 30th
- IEEE PES Scholarship Plus Initiative
Applications due by June 30th
- IEEE PES Roy Billinton Power System Reliability Award
IEEE PES Uno Lamm High Voltage Direct Current Award
- IEEE PES Wanda Reder Pioneer in Power Award
- IEEE PES CSEE Yu-Hsiu Ku Electrical Engineering Award
IEEE PES Technical Council and Technical Committee Awards
Each Technical Committee can submit one nomination for the PES Society-level awards (one per committee per calendar year). These PES awards are presented at the IEEE PES Awards Banquet, held at the annual PES General Meeting.
- IEEE PES Prize Paper Award
- IEEE PES Working Group Recognition Award for Outstanding Standard or Guide
- IEEE PES Working Group Recognition Award for Outstanding Technical Report
- IEEE PES Technical Council Young Professionals Award
- IEEE PES Technical Council Distinguished Service Award
An additional Technical Council Award is presented for the IEEE PES Technical Council Committee of the Year during the Technical Council lunch held at the annual PES General Meeting.
PES Chapter Awards
Ed C. Carlsen
Chairman, PES Chapter Awards and Resources Committee
Georgia Power Co.
241 Ralph McGill Blvd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30308-3374
There are several PES Chapter awards that are presented every year. The details of such awards are given on the PES Chapters Awards page.
IEEE Technical Field Awards (Related to PES)
- IEEE Herman Halperin Electric Transmission and Distribution Award
- IEEE Nikola Tesla Award
- IEEE Charles Proteus Steinmetz Award
- IEEE Richard Harold Kaufmann Award
- IEEE Educational Activities Board Meritorious Achievement Award in Continuing Education
- IEEE Educational Activities Board Meritorious Service Citation
- IEEE Fellows Program
- PES members who have been elected to the grade of IEEE Fellow class of 2017
- PES members who are IEEE Fellows
- How to Write an Effective Fellow Nomination
IEEE Senior Member Program
Becoming an IEEE Senior Member is a major achievement in a member's professional career. Find out how the IEEE Senior Member Program can benefit you, IEEE and your Section or Society at the following link.
PES Past Award Recipients
- IEEE Past Award Recipients
- IEEE PES Past Award Recipients
- IEEE PES Technical Committee Awards
- IEEE PES Student Prize Paper Award in Honor of T. Burke Hayes (sunsetted award)
PES Awards & Recognition Chair: Vahid Madani
Awards & Recognitions Vice Chair: Open
Past PES Awards & Recognition Chair: Don Morrow