IEEE Cooperation Structure on Technical Support
Updated 26 August 2021
IEEE PES Industry Technical Support (ITS) Leadership Committee
NOTE: Previously know as the IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF), this group has officially changed its name effective May 6, 2019. Moving forward, this group will be known as The IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee.
Provide support to and cooperate with governments, regulators, and other industry organizations globally on technical issues related to power, energy, and policy topics. The committee shall work closely with IEEE Standards Association (SA), IEEE-USA, and other IEEE Societies on an as needed basis. The objective is to tap on IEEE membership, stakeholders and various organizations (e.g. Technical Committees, Smart Grid, Smart Cities, Chapters, etc.) to provide support.
Structure and Plans:
The Committee is working very closely with Technical Council and Technical Committees, as the PES Technical Committees provide technical expertise and resources, and IEEE PES Governing Board leadership, addressing topics related to conferences and meetings, education, publications, regional activities, etc. It coordinates activities with IEEE SA and other IEEE organizations (e.g. other IEEE societies), as well as with industry organizations on a needed basis.
The Committee reports to the IEEE PES VP of New Initiatives and its structure is noted below.
Officers and Points of Contact
- IEEE PES Governing Board VP of New Initiatives: Shay Bahramirad
- Chair: Damir Novosel
- Vice Chair: Aleksi Paaso
- Marketing Lead: Jay Liu, supported by Doug Houseman
- IEEE PES Program Manager: Shana Pepin
- IEEE PES Marketing Staff: Jenny Brown
- IEEE-USA: Chris Root
- IEEE Standards Association Staff: Erin (Spiewak) Morales/Ravi Subramanian
- IEEE PES Technical Council: Vijay Vittal, VP Technical Activities
- IEEE PES Corporate Engagement Educational Program Committee: John Teixeira
- IEEE European Policy Committee: Jef Beerten
- IEEE PES VPs and MALs are engaged in selected activities as identified below
IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee
Functional Team 1: Standards and Interoperability
Improve the electrical power grid performance and interoperability for systems and equipment through timely development of standards.
- Leads: Zhenyu Huang and Chan Wong
- IEEE Standards Association: Erin (Spiewak) Morales and Ravi Subramaniam
- Coordinated with PES Member-At-Large for Standards
Functional Team 2: Technology
Support technology advancement through collaboration with existing IEEE working groups or development of new working groups.
- Leads: Carla Frieh, Dagmar Niebur and Tom King, Jr.
- Coordinated with PES VP Technical Activities, Vijay Vittal
Functional Team 3: Conferences and Meetings
Facilitate participation at IEEE conferences, including organizing workshops, panel sessions, and project reviews.
- Leads: Veronika Rabl, and Dagmar Niebur
- Coordinated with PES VP of Conferences and Meetings, Wayne Bishop
Region 8 leads – Jovica Milanovic and Lina Bertling Tjernberg
Region 9 leads - Juan Carlos Montero, Juan Celis, Enrique Tejera, and Jaime Cepeda
Region 10 leads – Lalit Goel and Nilesh Modi
ITS Regulatory/Government and Other Industry Organizations Team
Joint IEEE efforts have resulted in cooperative relationships with various organizations with each signing of an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IEEE, including specific implementation plans for each initiative. IEEE volunteer leaders have been assigned as interfaces to each initiative to facilitate the process.
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
PES: Chan Wong, Bill Hederman, and Zhenyu Huang
SA: Ravi Subramaniam
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
PES: Bill Chiu and Babu Chalamala
SA: Erin Spiewak
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
PES: Murty Yalla and Juan Castandea
SA: Erin Spiewak and Ravi Subramaniam
- The Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy Ecuador (MEER)
PES: Jaime Cepeda
- North American Transmission Forum (NATF)
PES: Marianna Vaiman and Chris Root
- Panama National Secretariat of Energy (NSE)
PES: Enrique Tejera
Corporate Engagement Program (CEP)
Joint IEEE efforts have resulted in cooperative relationships with various corporations with each signing of an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IEEE, including specific implementation plans for each initiative. IEEE volunteer leaders have been assigned as interfaces to each initiative to facilitate the process.
- CEP Co-Chairs: Marianna Vaiman & Sharma Kolluri
- Learn more about the IEEE PES Corporate Engagement Program here.
- Overview of IEEE PES Industry Leadership Committee (ITSLC)
- IEEE Power & Energy Society Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee Implementation Plan & Structure (updated July 2021)
- 2017 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF)
- 2018 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF)
- 2019 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee (ITSLC)
- 2020 Highlights Report (Mid-Year/June) - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee (ITSLC)
- PES eNews Bulletin (May 2017)
Content Provided by the ITSLC via the PES Resource Center
- Technical Reports
- The Definition and Quantification of Resilience - April 2018
- Impact of IEEE 1547 Standard on Smart Inverters - May 2018
- Managing the New Grid - July 2018
- Impact of Inverter Based Generation on Bulk Power System Dynamics and Short-Circuit Performance - September 2018
- Resilience Framework, Methods, and Metrics for the Electricity Sector - October 2020
- Presentations and Webinars
- Planning and Operating a Flexible and Resilient Grid: Insights of Recent ITS TF Technical Reports - Presented at IEEE PES ISGT-NA - February 2019
- SDG 13 Panel Session on Success Factors for Sustainable Electrical Energy Delivery - Presented at United Nations STI Forum - May 2019
- Sharing Knowledge on Electrical Energy Industry Response to COVID-19 - May 2020
- Sharing Knowledge on Electrical Energy Industry Response to COVID-19: Part II - Technical Impacts - June 2020
- Resilience Framework, Methods, and Metrics for the Electricity Sector - IEEE PES-TR83 Webinar - Part I - February 2021
- White Papers
- Success Factors for Sustainable Electrical Energy Delivery - February 2019
- Energy Storage Primer - April 2020
- Sharing Knowledge on Electrical Industry's First Response to COVID-19 - May 2020
- Energy Storage Opportunities and Research Needs - June 2020
- Global Power Systems Transformation Consortium: Landscape Anaylsis of Relevant Standards, Testing, and Certification Activities - July 2020