IEEE PES Patrick P. Ryan Meritorious Service Award
Description. To recognize outstanding contributions in leadership, technical activities, educational activities, global inclusion and membership growth of the IEEE Power & Energy Society. This award is named in memory of Patrick P. Ryan who served as PES Executive Director from 2007 to 2020.
- PES Members with the IEEE grade of Senior Member grade or above and are holding current (Active) membership.
- No current members of the IEEE BoD, IEEE PES Governing Board, PES ARC, the IEEE PES Patrick P. Ryan Meritorious Service Award Committee, or IEEE staff may be candidates or nominate or endorse candidates for this award.
- Plaque and travel subsidy of up to $2,000 USD for a recipient in the U.S.A. or $2,500 USD for a recipient residing outside the U.S.A. for recipient to attend presentation ceremony, to be paid as a reimbursement after IEEE Expense Report is submitted. All IEEE reimbursement policies and procedures will be followed.
- Single Annual Award - Only One Allowable Recipient Selected Annually. Recipient receives full prize including honoraria, and, if applicable, plaque and/or certificate.
- Annual - award will be distributed only if a suitable awardee is identified
- Funded by the IEEE Power & Energy Society Endowment Fund from the IEEE Foundation.
- Individuals cannot self-nominate for this award. Nominations will be solicited through various channels including but not limited to: PES website, PES print and electronic publications, email, and social media.
- Nominations must comply with IEEE Policies and restrictions on awards. Incidents of misconduct including, but not limited to, violations of IEEE's publication policies, will be strongly considered by the awards committee and may be grounds for denial of an award or leadership position.
- Committee Chair is appointed by the PES Awards Chair (1 year term for a maximum of 3 consecutive years)
- At least 5 committee members (no more than 9) will be appointed by the Committee chair with the consent of the PES Awards Chair (1 year term for a maximum of 5 consecutive years)
Individuals serving on any board or committee involved at any stage of the recipient selection or approval process for an award shall be ineligible to receive, or act as a nominator, reference or endorser for that award.
- No later than 30 September – Nominations opens
- 31 January – Nominations close
- 31 March – Selection process completed by Awards Committee
- No later than 30 April – Recipient notified
Selection/Basis for Judging
Continued and impacting contributions over at least 10 years in leadership, technical activities, educational activities, global inclusion and membership growth of the IEEE Power & Energy Society will all be considered and judged when scoring a candidate.
- All scores will be anonymous, tallied and distributed to the award committee for review. The committee will review the results and determine the recipient. There will be no ties.
- The result will be shared with the PES Awards Chair for final review and approval.
- The PES Awards Chair shares the outcome with the VP of Membership & Image.
- Presentation of the award shall be made at a PES Meeting/Conference, usually.
- This award will be advertised in the IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, on the PES website, email newsletters and on PES social media channels.
Russell, B. D.
Past Recipients can be found at https://www.ieee-pes.org/pes-past-award-recipients
PES, being one of IEEE’s Organizational Units, follows IEEE Policy 4.4H.
IEEE Policy 4.4.H
• Eligibility and Process Limitations. Individuals serving on any board or committee involved at any stage of the recipient selection or approval process for an award shall be ineligible to receive, or act as a nominator or reference for that award. This conflict of interest limitation shall apply to all awards given by the IEEE or any of its organizational units.