IEEE PES Prabha S. Kundur Power System Dynamics and Control Award
Description: This award recognizes outstanding contributions to the understanding and control of the dynamics of the power system. As the development of the complex system known as the interconnected bulk power system unfolded around the world, it became critical to understand its nonlinear behavior as well as develop and deploy system controls vital to manage dynamic system behavior to ensure reliability. Even today, as the bulk power system evolves to accommodate an unprecedented change in generation, transmission and loads, it is critical to manage integration of new and emergent technologies. Without this ability to model and predict the general dynamic behavior of the bulk power system and devise suitable coordinated systems controls, the modernization of the bulk power system would be inhibited. These developments come from the work of scientists and engineers who dedicate their careers to the deep understanding of bulk power system dynamic behavior, including transient, small-signal, voltage, and frequency stability, along with the development of controls vital to support bulk power system security and stability. The award will be in honor of Dr. Prabha S. Kundur. Dr. Kundur has worked on the leading edge of developments in power system dynamics and control for nearly four decades. His contributions to the technical advancements in the understanding and control of power system dynamic behaviour are known world-wide.
Prize: The award consists of an appropriate memento and an honorarium of $3,000.
Funding: The award fund will reside in the IEEE Foundation.
Eligibility: Nominees for the award must have been an IEEE PES member for at least 10 years with tangible and visible achievements in one or more of the areas listed below.
Selection factors include contributions to:
- Bulk power system dynamics and control, including transient, small-signal, voltage, and frequency stability
- Modern system analysis tools
- Dynamic system modeling including non-linearities, and interconnection-wide dynamic behavior and control,
- Originality and impact of technical publications,
- Professional and industry activities,
- Development of standards and operating guides,
- Achievements in other fields
Basis for Judging: The award recognizes outstanding individuals based on their contributions to modern bulk power system dynamics and control. The scope of contributions are as listed in the Eligibility Section, above.
Presentation: The award may be presented annually, after receipt of suitable nominations, at the Power & Energy Society’s General Meeting of the following year.
Click here for the PES Society-level Nomination Site.
Mark G. Lauby
IEEE PES Prabha S. Kundur Power System Dynamics and Control Award Committee Chair
North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
3353 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30326
C. Y. Chung
2014 Peter W. Sauer
2015 Nelson Martins
2016 Göran Anderson
2017 Nikolaos Hatziargyriou
IMPORTANT: Nomination forms must be written in English. One per year. If no suitable candidate is proposed in a given year, the award will not be presented for that year.
PES, being one of IEEE’s Organizational Units, follows IEEE Policy 4.4H.
IEEE Policy 4.4.H
• Eligibility and Process Limitations. Individuals serving on any board or committee involved at any stage of the recipient selection or approval process for an award shall be ineligible to receive, or act as a nominator or reference for that award. This conflict of interest limitation shall apply to all awards given by the IEEE or any of its organizational units.