IEEE Cooperation Structure on Policy Support
Updated 7 January 2020
IEEE PES Industry Technical Support (ITS) Leadership Committee
NOTE: Previously know as the IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF), this group has officially changed its name effective May 6, 2019. Moving forward, this group will be known as The IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee.
Provide support to and cooperate with governments, regulators, and other industry organizations globally on technical issues related to power, energy, and policy topics. The committee shall work closely with IEEE Standards Association (SA), IEEE-USA, and other IEEE Societies on an as needed basis. The objective is to tap on IEEE membership, stakeholders and various organizations (e.g. Technical Committees, Smart Grid, Smart Cities, Chapters, etc.) to provide support.
Structure and Plans:
The Committee is working very closely with Technical Council and Technical Committees, as the PES Technical Committees provide technical expertise and resources, and IEEE PES Governing Board leadership, addressing topics related to conferences and meetings, education, publications, regional activities, etc. It coordinates activities with IEEE SA and other IEEE organizations (e.g. other IEEE societies), as well as with industry organizations on a needed basis.
The Committee reports to the IEEE PES VP of New Initiatives and its structure is noted below.
Officers and Points of Contact
- Lead Officer: Damir Novosel, IEEE PES Governing Board
- IEEE PES Governing Board VP of New Initiatives: Shay Bahramirad
- IEEE PES Staff: Shana Pepin Program Manager of IEEE PES Technical Activities
- IEEE USA: Shay Bahramirad and Veronika Rabl
- IEEE Standards Association Staff: Erin Spiewak
IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee
Cooperation Task Team 1: Standards and Interoperability
Improve the electrical power grid performance and interoperability for systems and equipment through timely development of standards.
- Leads: Doug Houseman and Chan Wong
- IEEE Standards Association: Erin Spiewak and Ravi Subramaniam
- NIST Liaison: Jerry Fitzpatrick
Cooperation Task Team 2: Technology
Support technology advancement through collaboration with existing IEEE working groups or development of new working groups.
- Leads: Dagmar Niebur and Carla Frieh
Cooperation Task Team 3: Conferences and Meetings
Facilitate participation at IEEE conferences, including organizing workshops, panel sessions, and project reviews.
- Leads: Tom Pierpoint and Don Hall
Cooperation Task Team 4: Education
Develop and/or deliver educational and informational materials, such as Webinars, On-demand Tutorials, Publications and Newsletter articles.
- Leads: Marianna Vaiman and Sharma Kolluri
ITS Leadership Committee Interfaces
Joint IEEE efforts have resulted in cooperative relationships with various organizations with each signing of an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IEEE, including specific implementation plans for each initiative. IEEE volunteer leaders have been assigned as interfaces to each initiative to facilitate the process.
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
PES: Doug Houseman and Chan Wong
SA: Ravi Subramaniam
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
PES: Emanuel Bernabeu and Bill Chiu
SA: Erin Spiewak
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
PES: Murty Yalla (supported by Jay Liu)
SA: Erin Spiewak and Ravi Subramaniam
- The Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy Ecuador (MEER)
PES: Jaime Cepeda
- North American Transmission Forum (NATF)
PES: Marianna Vaiman and Chris Root
- Overview of IEEE PES Industry Leadership Committee (ITSLC)
- IEEE Power & Energy Society Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee Implementation Plan & Structure
- 2017 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF)
- 2018 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Task Force (ITSTF)
- 2019 Highlights Report - IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee (ITSLC)
- PES eNews Bulletin (May 2017)
Content Provided by the ITSLC via the PES Resource Center
- Technical Reports
- White Papers