2017 Member-Driven Initiatives
The IEEE Power & Energy Society Governing Board has allocated up to US$35,000 for Member-Driven Initiatives in 2017. The funding is open to all PES members, Chapters and Committees. PES Members do not require Chapter approval but coordination is suggested. Allocation of funds will be competitive.
Applications will be evaluated and selected by the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will give preference to projects that contain some or all of the following components:
- Fit of the project to the PES Mission
- Number of PES members affected
- Benefits industry members
- Humanitarian activity
- PES membership recruitment and retention
- Benefits female members and/or increasing female membership in PES
- Public outreach on power engineering
The ability of the applicant to execute the proposed project will also be given consideration.
Terms, Restrictions and Conditions
- There is no minimum award size. For exceptional projects, awards up to US$5,000 can be made.
- Only initiatives proposed by PES member(s), Chapters or Committees will be considered.
- Funds must be spent in 2017. Requests for multi-year or continuous funding will not be considered.
- Funds will not be distributed for travel to conferences, conferences fees, research, tuition, or indirect costs.
- Compensation for work is not allowed on the projects.
- A report, including financial documentation, list and affiliation of participants and photographic evidence is required within 45 days of project completion.
- Any images and descriptions of the event will be considered for use in the PES newsletters, promotions and publications.
- Once funds are exhausted, no additional awards will be made through this program within the same call.
- If several requests are received from a same applicant, the second one will be evaluated upon the execution and report received for the first one. It is preferred though not to have multiple applications from the same applicant within one call.
- Our preferred method of supplying the funding is through transfer the fund to local IEEE section bank accounts. Applicants should coordinate and get approval from the section treasurer. Please keep in mind that transfers can take more than a month to get to some countries.
- Other restrictions may apply.
- Seed funding for a workshop for practicing engineers.
- Support for a chapter meeting featuring industry executives.
- Industry workshop.
- Development of an outreach program to get students at primary schools interested in power engineering.
- Funding for a design competition for appropriate lighting technologies.
- Support for an event leading to the creation of a new chapter.
The Selection Committee members will be selected from PES Membership, Chapters Representative and Region Representative.
Applications are accepted beginning March 2017. Applications should be submitted early in order to allow sufficient processing and review time. Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to reserve funds for their project, if selected.
- 1 March 2017: Applications Open
- 15 March 2017: First Round Funding Reception Ends
- 1 April 2017: Results from the First Evaluation Round.
- 15 May 2017: Second Round Funding Reception Ends (if funds remain)
- 1 June 2017: Results from the Second Evaluation Round.
- 15 July 2017: Third Round Funding Reception Ends (if funds remain)
- 1 August 2017: Results from the Third Evaluation Round.
- 15 September 2017: Final Round Funding Ends (if funds remain)
- 1 October 2017: Results from the Final Evaluation Round.
- 31 December 2017: Final Reports Due
Questions? Contact Juan Carlos Montero (firstname.lastname@example.org)