Statement of Purpose and Scope of Activities for the PES Technical Council
The Technical Council of the IEEE Power Energy Society (PES) is presently composed of the Chairpersons of the PES Technical Committees, plus the Chairpersons of Standing Committees reporting to it. The Power Energy Society is Division VII of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). For operating functions it is responsible to the IEEE Technical Advisory Board and for technical activities to the IEEE Technical Activities Board.
The PES Technical Committees report to the Technical Council on matters concerning membership, technical publications, recognition, scope and the coordination of Power Energy Society generated standards. For standards relating to their technical scope, the Technical Committees work directly with the IEEE Standards Board and the Power Energy Society Standards Coordinating Committee.
- Promote the understanding of power engineering
- Promote the contributions of power industry
- Support power engineering education
- Seek and promote utility and supplier industry management support for Society activities
- Support and promote chapter activities.
The scope of the Technical Council of the IEEE Power Energy Society encompasses its technical responsibilities including the following:
- The research and development, planning, design, application, construction, installation, and operation of apparatus, equipment, structures, materials and systems for the safe, reliable, and economic generation, conversion, measurement, control, transmission, and distribution of electric energy.
- The development of engineering standards, guides, and recommended practices for this field of interest.
- The technical, scientific, literary, educational and other types of activities that contribute to this field, or utilize the techniques or products of this field.
The Technical Council shall be responsible for establishing policies which will stimulate among Society members the acquisition of new knowledge and technical expertise and the interchange of ideas and experiences, and for methods for appraising the performance of the Council's committees.
To carry out these responsibilities, the duties of the Technical Council shall be to:
- Promote and coordinate IEEE Power Energy Society technical activities.
- Establish guidelines for the evaluation of technical papers within its scope.
- Be responsible for the technical program at General Meetings.
- With the Meeting Department, arrange special technical conferences either alone or jointly with other committees of IEEE or with other Technical Societies.
- Initiate and prepare Standards and report on Standards activities to the Standards Board.
- Prepare suitable operating reports yearly for submission to the IEEE Power Energy Society, as required.
- Cooperate with similar Committees of other Societies.
- Encourage non-member authors of technical papers to become members of the Power Energy Society.
- Promote power engineering education through the use of tutorial sessions, publications, and other suitable programs.
- Provide and promote the recognition of significant achievement, by individuals or groups, in the technical areas under the Council's scope.
- Furnish planning support to the Power Energy Society in the technical areas within the Council's scope.
- Discourage commercial activities (sales of equipment or service) immediately prior to, during, and through the completion of Technical Committee meetings. (This policy is not meant to curtail scheduling special events where all are invited, such as field trips, factory tours, displays and demonstrations, or tutorials with prior approval of the Technical Committee Administrative Subcommittee.)